Monday

About wives: What value a wife

What is the value of a wife? The bible calls her a good thing, but there are as many with doubts, as there are wives with doubts about husbands. The concept is a fading throwback to a romantic era. Sure marriage can hurt, but persistence brings great reward, as the relationship shifts from the emotions, to the head, the body and the heart - and two became one.

She is a life witness – only she has walked the journey with me and known my every stumble and triumph. She knows me better than anyone else, but the miracle is she loves me anyway. Some might prefer her to be a silent witness, but I am glad she was there.

She is a great moderator – a friend complained that his wife was not as spiritual as him, yet it is our differences that keep us real and relevant. She keeps me sober when I over-spiritualize life and spiritually lifts me up when I am down.

She is a comrade in arms – Who else would so willingly share a lifetime foxhole and never complain about it? God invested some of His own heart to equip her capacity for love, forgiveness and the patience to stand beside me in the darkest storms.

She is a touchstone – She restores perspective and keeps me focused on what matters in life, especially in terms of family and parenting. She gives me a sense of purpose, but I am also accountable to her, as she is to me, and that keeps me motivated.

She is a refuge – When life is grim, the road is rough and we have to stand against the odds, she is that honest refuge where we can be ourselves and surrender our nakedness, whilst exposing wounds and vulnerabilities that no one else dare see.

We shares an inheritance – The greatest miracle of marriage is the power to reproduce ourselves and see our life values replicated in the next generation. They will stand on our shoulders to go further and higher - perhaps our greatest contribution to history.

She is a life-time friend – We share children, memories, joys and disappointments, life and death. No one else would have the capacity to share that most honest passage of life that will eventually lead through the twilight unto the grave.

She completes me – Children raised in the tag-team ring of true family, find real balance. Whenever I was hard, she was soft and whenever she was tough, I did the understanding - but together we agreed on what was best for our sons. It gave them security, direction, confidence and a solid foundation – and no way to play us against each other.

She is my soul mate – Adam needed a help-meet – someone to share his life. As the pinnacle of creation, she teaches us the subtleties of social grace, yet is always game for adventure. As an inalienable part of our wholeness she will stand with us before the throne of God as we cover each other’s nakedness and bear witness to each other’s life.


(c) Peter Eleazar @ www.4u2live.net

No comments: